Topic 1: What To Do If Your Bank Does Not Listen To Your Complaint

As a customer, if you have any complaint against your bank and are not satisfied with the bank’s response, there are various options available

Last week, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) asked banks to be more responsive in protecting customers from fraudulent transactions. In a notification on customer protection, the apex bank stated the guidelines and timelines for banks to resolve grievances regarding online frauds.

As a customer, if you have any complaint against your bank, the first step is to contact the bank and register a complaint. Grievances such as unauthorized electronic transactions, mis-selling of insurance and mutual fund products, loan and deposit, and mobile banking transactions can be raised at your bank.

But what if you are not satisfied with your bank’s response? In that case, you have two options: you can go to the banking ombudsman or take the bank to court.

Banking Ombudsman
If you get an unsatisfactory response from your bank and want to escalate the issue, you can approach the banking ombudsman. It is appointed by the RBI to resolve customers’ complaints regarding banking services. Currently, there are 20 banking ombudsman centres in India. To file a complaint with them, you need to have proof that you have already filed the complaint with your bank. Also, you must reach out to the ombudsman within 1 year of the action taken by your bank. The service is free of charge. 

The RBI has suggested a format in which to file the complaints. However, a complaint can be filed with the ombudsman in any format as long as all the relevant information is mentioned. You don’t have to adhere to the RBI’s format. But, what do you do if you are not satisfied with the ombudsman’s decision as well? Then, you have 45 days to appeal before an appellate authority, which in this case is an RBI deputy governor. 

Consumer Court
You can also approach a court against the bank. Here too, you need to have proof that you had raised the matter with your bank. If you had approached a banking ombudsman, you need to have the related documents too. Depending on the amount of financial damage, you can file the complaint before a District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, a State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission or the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission. When you approach a court, ensure that you have evidence against the bank. The complaint must be clear and precise. You can fight the case with or without a lawyer. And unlike with an ombudsman, a fee is charged here depending on the amount in dispute. 

Source: LiveMint
Please do not reply back to this mail. This is sent from an unattended mail box. Please mark all your queries / responses to .
Information provided on this newsletter has been independently obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, such information may include inaccuracies, errors or omissions. and its affiliates, information providers or content providers, shall have no liability to you or third parties for the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or correct sequencing of information available on this newsletter, or for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance upon such information, or for the delay or interruption of such information., its affiliates, information providers and content providers shall have no liability for investment decisions or other actions taken or made by you based on the information provided on this newsletter.